Saturday, April 16, 2011

The End of an Era?

On Thursday, April 14th, ABC announced that they are ending the soaps All My Children and One Life to Live. AMC has been on since 1970, OLTL since 1968.

I don't think people realize how much a part of people's "being" involves soaps, or that they existed before television!! In 2009, CBS axed Guiding Light which actually got its start in the 1930s on the radio. Then a few months later they ended As The World Turns. AMC will end is September and One Life to Live in January. With their loss there will only be FOUR left.

The one thing that you could always count on, even if your life got too busy and you stopped watching for a few years, was to tune in and be welcomed in by familiar faces... sometimes older or MUCH older than they were before. Every single day a constant. During the summer when home from school, I remember planning days around their air times (before VCR widespread use, and of course DVR). In college my final year I actually remember scheduling classes around them too. Man, this post isn't worthy of my thoughts, it is just really upsetting and I feel horrible for all the people who have been watching both since day one (don't even get me started what it must have been like for the Guiding Light fans).

I have to admit, All My Children has been hit and miss the past few months and at one point I deleted about a month of shows without watching to save room on my Tivo. But I always expected them to be around! You have to give it up to ABC for moving them out to LA last year to try and save money... but they could have done more! They could have given us more warning that they were in trouble of not being renewed so we could have shown that there is a big group of society who still wants soaps on the air. Did they even take DVR recording into account?

I find it interesting that my last two posts are about soap operas... I guess that is because they move me so much. Sure they can be campy and ridiculous, but they are a part of my family and a part of my daily life. My sisters introduced me to soaps, and I met some really great people because of a soap message board. I never would have met them in another life.

So guess what I did Friday... I decided to record the four current soaps that I don't currently watch. Since it is a dying breed, I need to soak up as much as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home